Please wait, loading...


CRA Tax Tips for 2017 Tax Season

March 2, 2017

As the Canada 2017 Tax Filing Season begins, Canadian taxpayers should be aware that in 2016 the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) introduced several changes to tax benefits, credits and deductions, effective for the 2017 tax season.
AGT’s Canadian tax professionals have prepared a brief overview of these major changes that you should be aware of.

New CRA Benefits from 2017 Onward

Eligible Educator School Supply Tax Credit

Qualifying teachers, and other educators may now be able to claim a 15% tax credit on up to $1,000 of qualifying teaching supply expenses incurred during the year. Additionally, this is a refundable tax credit, i.e. if you have ‘zero’ tax liability you could receive an amount equal to the 15%. The credit is available for 2016 and subsequent taxation years.

Home Accessibility Tax Credit

In 2016, the CRA introduced the Home Accessibility Tax Credit, which allows qualifying taxpayers to claim certain home renovations for disabled persons incurred on an eligible residence as a tax credit on their tax return. A maximum of $10,000 per year in eligible expenses can be claimed.

Canada Child Benefit (CCB)

The new Canada Child Benefit was introduced in 2016 replacing the Canada Child Tax Benefit (CCTB), Universal Child Care Benefit (UCCB), and National Child Benefit Supplement (NCBS). It is a monthly tax-free benefit to qualifying families with children below age 18.

The CCB is a tax-free monthly payment made to eligible families to help them with the cost of raising children under the age of 18. Parents raising children with a disability can also claim Canada Disability Tax Credit and the Child Disability Benefit in addition to the CCB.

Other CRA Tax Changes

Income Splitting Tax Credit

The family tax cut has been eliminated for the 2016 year and future tax years. Unfortunately, Canadian taxpayers will no longer be able to split their income with their spouse earning lower income. Senior citizen taxpayers can, however, continue to split their pension income with their spouse or common-law partner to minimize their tax burden.

Children’s Fitness Tax Credit

The Children Fitness Tax Credit has been reduced from $1,000 to $500. However, for children with disability the benefit amount remains the same at $1,000.

Children’s Arts Tax Credit

The Children’s Art Tax Credit has also been reduced to $250 from the earlier amount of $500. The maximum for a child with a disability will be $750.

Northern Residents Deductions

If a Canadian taxpayer has lived on a permanent basis, in a prescribed northern or intermediate zone for a continuous period of at least six consecutive months, he/she may qualify for the Northern Residents Deduction. For 2016 and later years, the basic and the additional residency amounts used to calculate the northern residents’ deductions will be increased from $8.25 to $11 per day.

Mandatory Filing of Form 2091 to Claim Principal Residence Exemption

To prevent taxpayers from claiming the ‘Principal Residence Exemption’ multiple times for several properties without fulfilling the required eligibility conditions, the CRA has updated the ‘Principal Residence Exemption’ regulations. Beginning with the 2016 returns, even though the sale of a principal residence remains tax-free it will be mandatory to file CRA Form T2091 to report the sale.

If you need further information on these changes or have a tax situation that is complex with multiple tax slips, and expense claims, taxpayers should always reach out to a Canadian tax expert to ensure correct and compliant tax filing.



If you have any tax-related queries, need assistance with tax planning or filing your tax returns please contact us. Our team comprises of highly experienced tax professionals with extensive knowledge of US and Canadian tax laws as well as cross-border compliance.

Furthermore, as a full service accounting firm, AG Tax assures complete assistance with even your most complex tax needs.

We can assist with:

  • Canadian Personal and corporate tax returns
  • Cross Border Taxation and Business Planning
  • US Personal and Corporate Taxation
  • Disclosure of Foreign Assets and other information filings
  • Retirement planning
  • Estate Planning, Inheritance tax advice

To obtain a quote or to arrange for a tax consultation to discuss your US Canada cross border tax queries, please contact us at:

  • 604-538-8735 (Greater Vancouver Area, BC)
  • 780-702-2732 (Greater Edmonton Area, AB)


Disclaimer: The information in this publication is accurate as of the time of its publication. AG Tax assumes no responsibility for changes to tax legislation subsequent to the publication of this document. The information provided is for general information purposes only and should not be acted upon without seeking professional advice. If you would like to engage our services, please contact our staff and obtain authorization to send our firm confidential information. A client relationship is not created by the transmission of information. A client relationship is only formed with our firm when a scope and engagement letter signed by the firm and the potential client detailing the terms of engagement is present.

ABOUTAylett Grant Tax, LLP
With offices across Canada, we are positioned to manage and process the full scope of your Canadian, US and US Canada cross-border tax filing needs.
12752 28th Ave, Surrey, BC, V4A 2P4
104–4220 98 St NW Edmonton AB, T6E 6A1
With offices across Canada, we are positioned to manage and process the full scope of your Canadian, US and US Canada cross-border tax filing needs.
12752 28th Ave, Surrey, BC, V4A 2P4
104–4220 98 St NW Edmonton AB, T6E 6A1

© AG Tax LLP | All Rights Reserved | Website by Aroma Web Design Vancouver

© AG Tax LLP | All Rights Reserved | Website by