Please wait, loading...


IRS Student Tax Tip: Students Can Claim Education Expenses

August 31, 2016

As the new school year begins, it is important to be aware of student tax savings available to students or parents. The U.S. tax system provides credits or deductions for education expenses paid for post-secondary education.

The following is a brief overview of back to school student tax considerations. Young taxpayers in the U.S. should be aware of  their education expenses and any part-time income earned.

What expenses qualify for U.S. student tax credits or deductions?

Expenses that qualify for U.S. student tax credits and deductions are tuition and related expenses. These are required for enrollment or attendance at eligible post-secondary institutions. Student activity fees and expenses for course-related books, supplies, and equipment are included in qualified education expenses. The fees and expenses must be paid to the institution as a condition of enrollment or attendance.

Education Tax Credits

The following are two education credits available to students:

American Opportunity Tax Credit (AOTC)

Taxpayers can claim up to $2,500 as an AOTC for qualifying education expenses in the first four years of post-secondary education. Consequently, the post-secondary school must be a qualified education institution. Additionally, up to 40% ($1,000) of the tax credit is a refundable credit. Meaning that the taxpayer may be able to receive this amount from the IRS even if they have no tax liability. In addition to the expenses listed above, qualified expenses for AOTC purposes also include course materials. The student taxpayer can obtain Form 1098-T from their qualified educational institution to be eligible for AOTC.

Lifetime Learning Credit (LLC)

With this Lifetime Learning Credit a taxpayer can claim up to $2,000 of qualifying expenses. However, this credit is NOT a refundable credit. This credit equals 20% of a maximum of $10,000 of qualifying education expenses. Unlike AOTC, this credit is claimed for any number of years and the student does not need to be pursuing a degree.  It is available for classes based around learning or improving job skills.

These credits are subject to income limitations and may be reduced or eliminated based on your income.  Only one of these credits may be claimed per student, per year. The credits may be claimed for yourself, your spouse or a dependent that you list on your tax return.  If the student can be claimed as a dependent the parent’s tax return, the credit MUST be claimed by the parent.

Deductible Education Expenses

Tax payers may be unable to use the education tax credits above. If this is so, There are educations expenses targeted towards undergraduate, graduate or post graduates. These costs may qualify for the “Tuition and Fees Deduction”. The maximum deduction is $4,000, therefore this deduction phases out as the taxpayers’ income level increases.

Student Loan Interest Paid

As interest incurs on one’s student loan, it can be claimed as a deduction on their income tax return. However only up to $2,500 can be claimed. This deduction is phased out for higher income paying taxpayers. Individuals being claimed as a dependent by a parent paying for the loan may not be able to claim interest on this expense.

Student taxpayers should keep in mind that any forgiven student loan amount is considered income for tax purposes and therefore must be reported on one’s annual income tax return.

Paying For U.S. Educational Expenses – accounts to keep in mind

Students can consider utilizing their 529 plans (Qualified Tuition Plan) and Coverdell Education Savings Account (ESA) if available to pay for authorized education expenses such as: books, computers, and other similar expenses. 529 Plans and Coverdell ESAs are qualified accounts in which the money is saved after-tax but any income earned by the account is tax-free provided it is utilized to fund education expenses.

In addition, distributions taken from an IRA will not be subject to the 10% additional tax. This is if used to pay for qualifying education expenses for yourself, spouse or dependent.  If the IRA withdrawal is taxable, you will be subject to regular tax on the withdrawal.

Scholarships and grants

A scholarship or fellowship grant is tax free. This can be if you are a candidate for a degree at an eligible education institution and the scholarship or grant was used for qualified education expenses. Scholarships and funding received for paying for room and board are not tax-exempt. Therefore, scholarships should be reported on the taxpayers annual income tax return as income.

Working Part-time, Paid Internships, etc.

Students working a part time job or a paid internship will be taxed on the income received. Some will even be withheld for tax purposes. Some students will be receiving a W-2. Furthermore, filing their annual tax return is highly recommended. Even if ones income is small, the taxpayer can claim a refund on the amount withheld. Remember that all earned income, tips and “odd jobs” are re portable on one’s U.S. tax return.

State Residency & Taxes

Student taxpayers may also be subject to state taxes. Students that live in one state while attending University or College in another state, he/she may be subject to state taxes. We recommend for students to visit the state’s website and go through the residency rules. They should inquire from their school authority if they can assist or seek the advice of a tax professional.

Non-resident Students

 “Aliens” temporarily present in the United States as students, trainees, scholars, teachers, researchers, exchange visitors, and cultural exchange visitors are subject to special rules with respect to the taxation of their income. Even though these types of taxpayers may pass residency tests. They are not considered “present” in the U.S. when they are temporarily in the U.S. for education purposes. These taxpayers are usually considered “non-resident aliens” for tax purposes. Filing of a Form 8843 is necessary to claim this exception even if the person does not need to file a U.S. tax return.

However, non-resident alien students and scholars have to file a tax return (1040NR) if he/she receives:

  1. A taxable scholarship or fellowship. Filing is not required when the scholarship or grant is tax-free (see above).
  2. Income partially or totally exempt from tax under the terms of a tax treaty; and/or
  3. Any other income, which is taxable under the Internal Revenue Code.

Foreign students who hold a student visa but work on part-time basis, will be subject to U.S. taxes on the income earned as it is U.S. sourced. And, thereby need to file a U.S. tax return. It is important to keep in mind that the income may be reportable in one’s resident/citizen country. If you are unsure or need further assistance with this, please give us a call and we would be happy to help.

Consequently these are just some of the important aspects that student taxpayers should keep in mind. As time passes, income and expenses increase and tax situations become more complex. With various income from savings and even purchasing a home, tax responsibilities can further widen. Therefore, starting off early helps to slowly build up one’s tax expertise and improve one’s tax knowledge to help taxpayers become tax compliant.

AG Tax LLP Can Help

If you have any tax-related queries, need assistance with tax planning or filing your tax returns please contact us. We are a team of highly experienced tax professionals with extensive knowledge of U.S. and Canadian cross-border compliance as well as U.S. and Canadian tax laws.

Furthermore, as a full service accounting firm, AG Tax is dedicated to assist you with even your most complex tax needs.

We can assist with:

  • Canadian Personal and corporate tax returns
  • Cross Border Taxation and Business Planning
  • U.S. Personal and Corporate Taxation
  • Disclosure of Foreign Assets and other information filings
  • Retirement planning
  • Estate Planning, Inheritance tax advice

To obtain a quote or to arrange for a consultation to discuss your tax related queries, please contact us at:

  • 416-238-5920 (Greater Toronto Area, ON)
  • 604-538-8735 (Greater Vancouver Area, BC)
  • 780-702-2732 (Greater Edmonton Area, AB)


Disclaimer: The information in this publication is accurate as of the time of its publication. AG Tax assumes no responsibility for changes to tax legislation subsequent to the publication of this document. The information provided is for general information purposes only and should not be acted upon without seeking professional advice. If you would like to engage our services, please contact our staff and obtain authorization to send our firm confidential information. A client relationship is not created by the transmission of information. A client relationship is only formed with our firm when a scope and engagement letter signed by the firm and the potential client detailing the terms of engagement is present.

ABOUTAylett Grant Tax, LLP
With offices across Canada, we are positioned to manage and process the full scope of your Canadian, US and US Canada cross-border tax filing needs.
12752 28th Ave, Surrey, BC, V4A 2P4
104–4220 98 St NW Edmonton AB, T6E 6A1
With offices across Canada, we are positioned to manage and process the full scope of your Canadian, US and US Canada cross-border tax filing needs.
12752 28th Ave, Surrey, BC, V4A 2P4
104–4220 98 St NW Edmonton AB, T6E 6A1

© AG Tax LLP | All Rights Reserved | Website by Aroma Web Design Vancouver

© AG Tax LLP | All Rights Reserved | Website by